Nursery/Big Boy Room Project

I am beyond excited to share my very first decorating and refinishing job with you all!  It was such a great learning experience and has boosted my confidence that this is really something that I can do!  And it's something that I really enjoy doing.  

Leading up to this project, I had lofty expectations about what it was going to be like to work with a client for the first time.  It was going to be magical!  I would come up with some glamorous design plan for the unfortunate space.  My client would be thrilled with every aspect of my design, hand over a billion dollars, and say, "Just get it done."  I would then bring in my experienced team of tradesmen, and in a single day, the rooms would be immaculate.  My client would return home from some mysterious place just around the block and I would reveal the magic that has been accomplished.  She would weep with joy and give me big hugs and squeal in delight over every little detail.

Okay, in all seriousness, I knew it wasn't going to be like a 30-minute episode of some show on HGTV.  I knew that!  But one can dream.  Starting out with zip in your portfolio besides what you've done in your own home, doesn't help matters any.  You have to start from the ground up.  Just like in every job.  You have to prove that you're worth it, that you have a creative vision, and you're good at what you do.  Maybe even great!  It's not like I'm starting out with an internship under someone who has years of experience under their belt, either.  I'm creating a business from scratch.  A business that requires accounting, and taxes, and social media, and taxes, and marketing, and branding, and taxes.  My God, the taxes!!!  I knew all of this before diving headfirst into this endeavor, but nonetheless, it is work and sometimes takes a law degree to decipher through all of the confusing legal jargon.  My husband has been especially helpful in this area.  He just has one of those minds.  I'm over here like, "HELLOOO!!!  I'M THE CREATIVE ONE!!!"  Love that man!  He deals with all of my nonsense and shenanigans.  And he's very patient with me.  Hah!

Bunny trails....bunny trails...

Although my first decorating experience wasn't like an episode of Fixer Upper, it was still awesome and invaluable to me and my business.  I learned so much.  My client was as sweet as pie and she really had great ideas and an amazing sense of style.  So let me walk you through everything... *squeals*

My client needed help with 2 rooms in her house: a nursery for her soon-to-arrive baby girl and a big boy room for her 2-year-old son.  Could you possibly get a better first project than a nursery and a kid's room?!?!  I was stoked!  She sent me some inspiration boards that she had put together on her own and it gave me a pretty good idea about what she was wanting.  So, I ran with it and created two design boards to show her at our next meeting.





After going over the design boards and narrowing down exactly what she wanted, we came up with a plan.  The nursery was a khaki beige color and not just on the walls.  It was on the ceiling, too!!!  AHHHH!!!  It was like walking into a cardboard box.  Who does that?!  Naturally, we decided that the whole room should be repainted.  The ceiling went back to white and the walls were painted in Burnished Clay.  It brightened up the room and gave it a clean, soft, feminine look.





My client found an amazing bedroom set, that a friend was getting rid of, for a steal.  It was an old, 1973 Thomasville furniture set that included: a full-size bed, 2 night stands, a tall chest of drawers, and a long dresser with mirror.  Here is the set before...  I really need to do a better job of getting "before" pictures!  Geez!  This is in the original owner's house.  Awkward!!!  But you get the idea!






I was able to refinish all of the pieces for her so she has them ready to go when baby girl grows out of her crib.  When the bedroom set was delivered to my house and I was able to inspect all of the pieces, I was nervous to start sanding and painting.  It was such a beautiful set and in impeccable shape for how old it was.  But, I pressed on and it really turned out stunning.  The alabaster white reveals the hidden character of each piece.  I love how the detailing of the feet stand out now.  It gives it a feminine feel, which is perfect for a little girl's room.  The glass drawer pulls were a great find.  They came with silver hardware, so I used some metallic gold spray paint to keep the finishes consistent throughout the room.  I am so happy with how the entire set turned out.  And I know my client is happy, too.




Without further ado, here is the finished nursery...






Honestly, I can't toot my own horn with the big boy room.  My client and her hubby did a great job at putting everything together, but I have to at least show you all how it turned out.  I apparently need to work on my photography skills, as well.  The other pictures I took of this room did not turn out so well.  Bummer dude!  But, seriously, this is such a sweet room for a little boy!  Mama did good!!!



And that's it folks!  I hope these kiddos love their rooms for years to come!  And I hope you enjoyed checking them out, too!


-Kirstyn





Comments

Popular Posts